Frequently asked questions about Turkish visas for US citizens
If you are a US citizen intending to visit Turkey for business or vacation, you will be required to apply for a Turkish visa before traveling. It would be a visa-on-arrival, which will allow you to enter the country for a maximum stay of 90 days. Read on to find answers to the most frequently asked questions about getting a visa-on-arrival in Turkey for US citizens.
What is the fee for and how long can a US citizen stay with a Turkish visa?
- A US passport holder can get a Turkish visa valid for a 180-day window at around $20.70. However, there is also an additional $20 fee levied. The visa is valid for multiple entries.
- US citizens with a valid visa and passport can stay in Turkey for a maximum of 90 days. The visas are provided under certain circumstances, allowing entry to individuals intending to travel to Turkey for business or tourism purposes.
- The visa remains valid for a total of 180 days, starting right from the date of application. In this period, you can make multiple visits to the country if desired.
What documents are required when applying for a Turkish visa?
- The most important document that will grant US citizens a valid visa to Turkey is a valid US passport.
- You must ensure that the expiry date of your passport is far from the permitted period of stay in Turkey. If not so, your Turkish visa application can be denied.
- In addition, US citizens are required to get their e-visa before departure.
What is the process of applying for a Turkish visa?
A visa to Turkey is an official document that grants you permission to enter the country for a specified period for business or tourism-related visits. You are required to obtain the same electronically with the help of a Turkish visa application.
- You can fill out the application online on the official website by filling in the required information.
- You can then make payments through MasterCard, Visa, or PayPal.
- Besides filling the application form appropriately, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months from the date you wish to enter Turkey.
- A Turkish visa should be purchased at least a week before your intended visit.
How does a Turkey e-visa work?
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey issues Turkish e-visas electronically.
- It gets linked with your passport and is accessible to the Department of Foreign Affairs.
- It is advised you take out a print of your Turkish visa so that you are safe from the hassles that are sometimes caused by the problems of computer terminals at the immigration office.
- In case your visa is denied, you will receive a message after which you will need to contact the Turkish embassy.
What happens if you overstay your visa in Turkey?
- If due to any reason you wish to extend your stay in Turkey, you must apply for the same at a local police station at the earliest.
- However, you must ensure to not try to extend your stay without making changes to your Turkish visa. In such a case, if you overstay, you might be fined or even barred from future travels to Turkey.
What if you mention an incorrect passport number on a Turkish visa application form?
- This is indeed one of the most common queries because many people tend to commit mistakes while filling forms, both online and offline.
- A common mistake that people make while filling their visa application form online is entering an incorrect passport number. You can correct your mistake easily until the time you haven’t submitted the application. However, you will have to fill the form all over again and re-submit it in case you submit the application form comprising incorrect details.
Do you need a visa if you are in transit through Turkey?
- No, you will not require a Turkish visa if you don’t plan to leave the transit lounge of the airport in Turkey.
- However, you do require one if you wish to leave the airport and roam outside.